Beams cover oceans and land masses
As Inmarsat was founded as a maritime communications operator, the first wholly-owned constellations − the Inmarsat-2 and Inmarsat-3 series − are located above the sea to form four ocean regions:
- Atlantic Ocean Region West (AOR-W), at 54 degrees West
- Atlantic Ocean Region East (AOR-E), at 15.5 degrees West
- Indian Ocean Region (IOR), at 64 degrees East
- Pacific Ocean Region (POR), at 178 degrees East.
Following the full deployment of the Inmarsat-4 (I-4) satellite constellation in 2009, a further three satellite regions were created over the Earth's major land masses. They are:
- I-4 Americas, at 98 degrees West
- I-4 EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa), at 25 degrees East
- I-4 Asia-Pacific, at 143.5 degrees East.