- Role ID: 559
- Reports to: Senior Product Manager, New Capability
- Division: Product Development, Development and Engineering
- Location: London, UK (You must be eligible to work in this location)
Primary role purpose
We are seeking a product development manager to help Inmarsat and our ecosystem of developers create outstanding products, applications and services to meet the needs of satellite communications end users enabling them to stay connected anywhere in the world.
Users of our communications products and services range from aid agency medical teams needing to communicate between team members, a tourist or trekker in wilderness, to a geologist communicating back to base….and more. In all cases, this communication is important, sometimes critical, and so the quality of the product and service is equally important.
Your role sits within the Cross Portfolio Product Development Management Team, a small group who touch many parts of the business. Our team are responsible, amongst other areas, for development of Inmarsat’s satellite phones and personal smartphone connectivity devices and this role is focused in this area though other project types may also be included. Our work is driven by a passion for user and market understanding and innovation.
You will work with a broad international team across the business to understand the requirements for new opportunities analyse competition and translate these needs into new concepts, enabling implementation by Inmarsat and our partners. You will also support development teams and ensure that the vision for the product or service is delivered sharply and on time.
- Work with your line manager, Business Units, customers and other relevant stakeholders to understand the requirements for a product or service from end user needs to value chain considerations, to competitive positioning and much more – whatever is relevant to the new proposition you are working with
- Contribute to value proposition definition, new product concept generation
- Lead verification and feasibility studies related to validation of the proposition
- Once concept is iteratively understood you will document and communicate requirements in a clear way that enables engineering and development partners to create products and services that sharply meet the opportunity’s needs
- Work with Inmarsat engineering and external development partners to ensure the vision for the product or service is delivered and on time
- Diligently conduct beta testing of products, firmware releases and applications before market launch or release
- Lead transition and roll out to the Business unit of a new product or service
- Stay close to customers and customer service teams to collect and analyse market feedback post product launch and in life and follow up any issues with tangible actions
- For smaller projects provide basic project status reports
Essential knowledge and skills
- University degree, and preferably master’s degree, in a relevant subject or equivalent professional experience, this will likely be in an engineering discipline
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in product management, software product management or user experience design or similar role
- Experience working with subcontractor companies or external developers to deliver great products
- Experience working in a collaborative, multifunction team
- A team player with a can do attitude
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
Desirable knowledge and skills
- Experience in working on iOS and Android applications is a bonus
- Experience working with developer communities or ecosystems
- Understanding of how product management, product development and product marketing teams work together
In order to apply please send a CV and covering letter, quoting the Role ID and Job Title, to: