- Role ID: 514
- Reports To: Director, Maritime Product Development
- Division: Development and Engineering
- Location: London, UK (You must be eligible to work in this location)
Primary role purpose
The Product Development Manager role interfaces between the Business Development teams and the System and Engineering teams to lead a new commercial product, service or feature from technical feasibility to concept definition through to implementation and delivery to the commercial Product Management team.
The role entails reaching out to key players in the industry to anticipate market needs and feed innovation through the product development cycle.
Engage internal and external Product and Service stakeholders, as well as leverage industry experience, to:
- Understand the key revenues drivers for the Maritime Business units and the ‘make or break’ product launch in the next 18 months.
- Develop, define, document and manage new Products and Service (P&S) requirements for the Maritime market at a wholesale level and retail level when necessary. This task includes working closely with the Maritime Business Development team.
- Manage the requirements throughout the product development cycle consulting with stakeholder and including entry and tracking of requirements and use cases in the Blueprint system.
- Support the Maritime Business unit in constructing Business cases, specifically lead technical feasibility assessment, identify key building blocks and stakeholders and collate ROM costs estimates and high-level delivery schedules.
- Work with the Engineering Finance and investment analyst team to ensure that the cost portion of Business case is complete, accurate and constructed accordingly to the latest corporate rules.
- Lead the solution definition for new or updated products and services including functional, process and performance definition using various methods such as use cases and modelling.
- Work closely with the system and architecture teams to ensure the solution follows the technology roadmap.
- May be required to take the project management lead for Core Maritime project definition. This may include formulating project plans, manage and deliver enhancements or new products in a timely manner, with sharp focus on the original aims and market requirements and tenacious monitoring of quality.
- Working closely with the Maritime product team in support of commercial service introduction ensuring products or services are beta tested and fit for purpose at launch enabling fast adoption in the market.
- Prepare and review P&S specification documents, service descriptions, data sheets and presentation materials on Maritime roadmap Products and Services.
- Develop understanding of the Maritime deployment environment including knowledge of the installation and operating environment, interfaces, maintenance and regulatory considerations.
- Provide P&S technical information to assist the Maritime BU’s preparation of market messaging, collateral materials and bid and proposal (B&P) responses to commercial opportunities.
- Engage the Maritime BU to gather P&S performance metrics and market adoption data to ensure the new product or service is delivering against the business case expectations. Instigate remedy actions if necessary.
- Report on projects, key milestones, KPI as required by the business.
Role in innovation
- Lead or Support Maritime P&S engagement with technology partners, VARs and application developers to assess market adoption progress, as well as evaluate issues, market challenges and new requirements, with incorporation of approved changes to the roadmap.
- Define, plan and lead pre-study or concept study activities as vehicles for Innovation, solution definition and understanding.
- Assume role as subject matter expert (SME) on Inmarsat GX and Maritime L-band terminals, services and ancillary devices for the Maritime BU, Customer Support Operations (CSO) and VARs.
- Assume role as subject matter expert (SME) on Maritime specific network applications and protocols.
Essential knowledge and skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to wireless communications (Engineering, Mathematics or Physics).
- Technical background with proven experience in wireless broadband communications technologies, preferably SATCOM; experience with complementary technologies such as IP routing/switching, Ethernet, MPLS, acceleration/WAN optimizers, VoIP and video/audio encoders is a plus.
- Proven experience applying technical and industry expertise to develop solutions that conform to use cases and application requirements in a relevant field.
- Ability to work independently and flexibly, with the organizational and analytical skills to break down a large project into component work packages while assuming overall leadership in the planning and execution of multiple projects across diverse internal and partner teams.
- Excellent spoken and written communication in the English language, as well as the ability to raise action points with clarity and confidence in the presence of senior management.
- Demonstrated technical writing ability in the English language and delivery of high quality work product suitable for external technical and marketing communications.
Desirable knowledge and skills
- MSc in telecommunication.
- Expertise in Satcom product Development.
- Proven track record of setting up test environment and networking test tools.
- Knowledge of the Maritime communications and Maritime (merchant shipping) operational environment.
- L-band or VSAT technical experience.
- Proven track record in technical requirements and use case development.
In order to apply please send a CV and covering letter, quoting the Role ID and Job Title, to:
Closing date for applications: 7 August 2015